This month's question comes from Kathryn S. of Waco, Texas:
Kathryn: I recently started working full time at a large firm and have been struggling to maintain my relationships because I am so busy at work. How do you suggest giving your all at work, while also still enjoying somewhat of a social life with friends and family?
- Learn to schedule downtime into your calendar. You know how to schedule work meetings, so do the same for your personal life. Create appointments for yourself where you meet up with friends, get a massage, or head to the gym. Try to schedule at least one thing you look forward to each day.
- Disconnect from technology and respect your time away from the office. The thought of turning off your cell phone makes some people panic, but turning off your phone for a couple of hours will allow you to truly focus on something you enjoy.
- Forget multitasking. Learn to prioritize your work load. Find out what is the most important task to get done each day and focus on completing it.
- Take care of yourself through proper nutrition, exercise, rest and by drinking plenty of water. Feeling good not only helps your work life, but makes you feel better during your off time, too!
- Learn how to say "no." Don't take on more than you can handle at work. Doing so adds stress to your workload, which may inhibit your ability to perform daily work tasks.
Do you want to be part of our new "Dear Roger" blog series that features your questions answered by Roger? Submit your question here and be featured in our blog and newsletter next month!