In the spirit of Leap Day, heres a few fun facts to get those number-loving gears grinding!
- Julius Caesar introduced Leap Year around 45 BCE.
- Your chances of being born on a leap day are approximately 1 in 1500.
- There are about 187,000 people in the US and 4 million people in the world who were born on Leap Day.
- In most states, leaplings must wait until March 1st to be eligible for any age-specific privileges (ages 16, 18, 21).
- Century years are not leap years unless they can be evenly divided by 400. The years 1700, 1800 and 1900 were not leap years, but 1600 and 2000 were.
- When 2/29 is entered into a majority of websites it comes up as an invalid birth date.
- US Presidential elections and Summer Olympic Games are both held every four years and occur during leap years.
- The next February 29th will come around again in 1,460 days. *Information from here.
Because the year has 366 days, were declaring today a study break freebie! So, stay away from those books, and pop in Leap Year, 2010s sub-par chick flick. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well it's festive, OK?